Lester, who joined the board in 2016, is a 15-year member of the association. Dr. Byron C. Scott becomes vice chair.
The American Association for Physician Leadership on Saturday named Mark Lester, MD, MBA, CPE, FAANS, FACS, FAAPL, as chairman of its board of directors.
Lester, executive vice president for the Texas Health Resources system and a 15-year member of AAPL, was serving as vice chair of the board. He takes over for Greg Jolissaint, MD, MS, CPE, FAAPL, who will continue to serve on the board.
The new vice chair is Byron C. Scott, MD, MBA, CPE, FACEP, FAAPL, deputy chief health officer with Simpler Consulting, IBM Watson Health. Scott was elected to the board in 2017.
The announcements were made at AAPL’s annual Spring Summit in Washington, D.C.
Lester, a board member since 2016 and chair of AAPL’s Diversity & Inclusion task force, says that physician leadership is vital to the future of health care.
“It’s a critical factor in where health care is going and is a responsibility for our organization,” Lester says. “I think that’s both the challenge and the fun for AAPL right now.”
Board members departing because of term limits include former chair Alan P. Marco, MD, MMM, CPE, FAAPL; Laura Clapper, MD, MPPA, CPE, FAAPL; and Bret Burton, MD, MBA, CPE, FAAPL.
AAPL’s 2019 Board of Directors:
- Chair: Mark Lester, MD, MBA, CPE, FAANS, FACS, FAAPL
- Vice chair: Byron C. Scott, MD, MBA, CPE, FACEP, FAAPL
- Greg Jolissaint, MD, MS, CPE, FAAPL
- Albert Tzeel, MD, MHSA, CPE, FAAPL
- Howard Shaw, MD, MBA, CPE, FACOG, FACHE, FAAPL
- Thomas Higgins, MD, MBA, CPE, FAAPL
- Lisa Laurent, MD, MBA, MS, CPE
- Linda Lawrence, MD, CPE, FACEP
- Ash Gokli, MD, CPE, FACEP, FAAPL
- Gregg Davis, MD, MBA, FAAFP.
- Michael R. Canady, MD, MBA, CPE, FACS
- Stephanie J. Duggan, MD, FACEP, CPE
- Anne VanGarsse, MD, CPE, FAAP, CHCEF
Daniel Lace, MD, CPE, FAAPL, remains on the board as chair of the Certifying Commission to Medical Management, but in a nonvoting capacity.