COVID-19 is clearly creating significant change in how daily lives are pursued. The impacts on healthcare as an industry are profound and how physicians continue to provide patient care is being challenged. Those in group practices, as well as those within institutional environments, are all now faced with the prospect for how to develop new approaches in their professional pursuits. The changing environment in healthcare provides all physicians with a unique opportunity to develop and implement larger scales of change for the industry, as a result.
Dr. Peter B Angood, MD, FRCS(C), FACS, MCCM, FAAPL(Hon) is President and CEO of the American Association for Physician Leadership, the only association solely focused on providing professional development, leadership education, and management training exclusively for physicians since its founding in 1975. In that role since 2012, he has continuously promoted the charge that “at some level, all physicians are leaders.”
The book, All Physicians Are Leaders: Reflections On Inspiring Change Together For Better Healthcare available in print or eBook format, is a frank dialogue and call to action on how all physicians can reach their fullest potential by becoming and remaining more engaged while inspiring engagement in others. It is also a clear-eyed look at the positive and trusted role physicians exercise in every sector of the healthcare industry.
Including chapters on wellness and burnout, patient safety, lifelong learning and the necessary personal and professional competencies for physicians, Dr. Angood’s commentaries are uniquely astute and bold. He asserts that physicians remain the most trusted and dominant conduit for care and decision-making within the multidisciplinary sphere of healthcare and, further, with increasing demands for quality care and patient satisfaction, the physician leader is well-positioned and deserves an equitable say in shaping the future of the healthcare industry.
“The research shows that the benefit of a physician-led organization is improved patient outcomes and decreased costs,” says Dr. Angood. “While academia and basic science research continue to expand the scientific knowledge of medicine at rapid rates, technology, pharmaceuticals, device innovation and digital communication all are redefining their value equation with physicians as leaders in their organizations.”
This book of personal reflections on healthcare and the state of the industry is precisely that: personal. Dr. Angood’s goal is for the various chapters to spur personal reflection among physicians while instilling in them a renewed sense of privilege and commitment to the profession.
All current AAPL members will receive a complimentary copy of the eBook.
Table of Contents
- All Physicians are Leaders … at Some Level
- Physicians, Value and Compound Interest: Benefits of a Physician-Led Organization
- Demographics, Shifting Models and Physician Leadership
- Competencies and Lifelong Learning
- Safety, Transparency and Physician Leadership
- Redefining a Value Equation with Physicians as Leaders
- Adversity, Resilience and Persistence
- Reflections on Evolving Change in Training of Physicians
- Caring and Compassion vs. Physician Compensation
- Metrics, Measurement and Patient Safety Reporting
- Diversity, Inclusion and Physicians’ Need to Give
- The Value of Volunteering
- Violence, Safety and Physician Leadership
- Clarion Call: Elective, Urgent or Emergent?
- Uncertainty, Ambiguity and DiSC: A Contrast
- Generations, Wisdom and a Hero’s Journey
- Crisis Management and Catastrophes: Times for Learning?
- Physicians Meeting the Challenge of Contrasting Ideologies
- Patient-Centered Care: Is it Really Disruptive?
- Physicians and the Sense of Accomplishment
- Telehealth: Has Its Time Come?
- Trust: Professionalism, Altruism, Forbearance
- Appreciation – Where Does it Lead?
- Medicine, Human Wellness and Ecology
- We Know About Physician Burnout; What About Physician Happiness?
- Bonus Special Report: The Value of Physician Leadership
About the Author:
Peter B. Angood, MD, is the chief executive officer and president of the American Association for Physician Leadership. Formerly, Dr. Angood was the inaugural chief patient safety officer for The Joint Commission and senior team leader for the World Health Organization’s Collaborating Center for Patient Safety Solutions. He was also senior adviser for patient safety to the National Quality Forum and National Priorities Partnership and the former chief medical officer with the Patient Safety Organization of GE Healthcare. With his academic trauma surgery practice experience ranging from the McGill University hospital system in Canada to the University of Pennsylvania, Yale University and Washington University in St. Louis, Dr. Angood completed his formal academic career as a full professor of surgery, anesthesia and emergency medicine. A fellow in the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, the American College of Surgeons and the American College of Critical Care Medicine, Dr. Angood is an author in more than 200 publications and a past president for the Society of Critical Care Medicine.
About the American Association for Physician Leadership®
The American Association for Physician Leadership (AAPL) is focused on the personal transformation of all physicians, and through them the organizations they serve. With the goal of improving patient outcomes, workforce wellness, and a refinement of all healthcare delivery, AAPL has remained the only association solely focused on providing professional development, leadership education, and management training exclusively for physicians since its founding in 1975. In those 45 years, AAPL has educated 250,000+ physicians across 40 countries — including CEOs, Chief medical officers and Physicians at all levels of healthcare.
Order from the AAPL Shop: New Book: All Physicians Are Leaders: Reflections On Inspiring Change Together For Better Healthcare
For print book availability, estimated date is June 15.
Bulk order discounts are available in quantities of 100 – 10,000 by calling a Leadership Development Advisor at 800.562.8088.