Top physician leaders find the Certified Physician Executive (CPE) certification to be the key to open doors in today’s competitive healthcare leadership field.
Since certification began in 1997, thousands of physicians have joined the elite group of healthcare leaders who have CPEs.
The Capstone is a 3½-day program designed to provide you with additional education based on the CPE competencies, while completing exercises in cohort group sessions to allow you to practice and hone your skills in preparation for a final presentation.
Upcoming CPE Capstone Dates
June 8 - 11, 2023
September 21 - 24, 2023
Need help with Capstone?
CPE Candidates must have one of the following:
- Completion of the CPE Curriculum through American Association for Physician Leadership.
- Graduate management degree (MBA, MMM, MHA, MPH, MS-HQSM, MS in management, etc.).
Medical Training - Candidates must be one of the following:
- Graduate of a United States or Canadian medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduate of an osteopathic school of medicine accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Certified by the Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
Be a member of the American Association for Physician Leadership in good standing at the time of attendance at a CPE Capstone.
Candidates must have a current license to practice medicine in the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, or the Virgin Islands. Candidates from other countries must be licensed in the country in which they reside and practice.
Clinical Practice Experience
Candidates are required to have three years’ experience in clinical practice beyond residency and fellowship training. A resume or CV is required.
Application & Tuition
Application Submission Requirements
Please be prepared to upload the following documentation during the application process:
- A copy of your medical school diploma or ECFMG standard certificate.
- A resume or CV confirming three years of clinical practice experience.
- A copy of board certification in a specialty recognized by ABMS or AOA.
- A copy of your current license renewal.
- A copy of graduate degree transcript (for physicians applying with qualifying master's degree only).
- A letter of recommendation from your immediate supervisor affirming management experience is required. In the absence of a supervisor, another significant healthcare leader within your organization or CEO of another significant healthcare organization is acceptable.
- Letter must be on an official letterhead.
- Letter must be signed by endorser.
- Letter must mention relation to applicant.
- Letter should briefly attest to your leadership experience and managerial oversight touching on the four criteria below if possible.
Candidates must have at least one cumulative year of healthcare leadership experience within the last 3 years as described in the criteria below. The information must include significant lessons learned, physician leadership position(s) and dates/time spent in each role or roles.
Please be prepared to provide information on:
- Talent management
- Managing physicians and other staff, performance evaluations, determining compensation, hiring, and firing.
- Leading physicians with feedback for performance and behavior.
- Data management
- Utilizing performance metrics, data gathered and how it is used to increase performance and show success.
- Improvements in the health of populations with measurable data, HEDIS, etc.
- Fiscal responsibilities
- Managing a budget to include revenue, costs, and profits.
- Organizational impact
- Negotiating with employer and government health plans, discounts, and with at-risk platforms such as accountable care organizations.
- Designing, justifying, and implementing projects.
- Measurably improved quality, patient safety, utilization, and value.
- Improving demand and capacity management that positively impacts access, affordability, and satisfaction for patients.
- Leading organizations in accreditation or certification such as Joint Commission, ACGME, etc.
- Improvements in quality and production of pharmaceuticals, medical devices, etc.
- Improvements in the academic setting that improves learning and research.
- Examples of improving the organizational culture.
- Future aspirations within physician leadership and how that plus obtaining the CPE designation will help propel you in the future.
Tips for Submitting Your Application:
- The CCMM is looking for experiences that document your leadership responsibilities. For example: direct oversight over other staff and making physician hiring decisions, rather than simply interviewing prospective physicians, or chairing a committee, rather than simply serving on a committee.
- Please provide detailed information regarding the areas of leadership/ managerial experience as noted above.
- In the case you cannot attest to oversight in any specific area, please explain why or elaborate as much as possible.
Note: you may want to review the application and draft your responses prior to beginning. (At any time during this process, you can save your application and resume later).