Impact the health care community now and into the future.
Fellowship in the American Association for Physician Leadership (FAAPL) indicates that you have attained the highest level of leadership excellence and a continued commitment to the organization and the field of physician leadership. AAPL Fellowship is the most prestigious professional designation in the physician leadership community.
The Council of Fellows awards this distinction to physicians that have obtained the Certified Physician Executive (CPE) credential and have demonstrated substantial contributions to the field of physician leadership on a regional and national level.
The FAAPL designation tells your colleagues that you have a passion to lead, mentor and inspire all those around you.
- Be an active member of the American Association for Physician Leadership in good standing for the last five consecutive years.
- Earn the Certified Physician Executive (CPE) credential.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a current fellow, who can nominate the candidate for fellowship status based on the applicant’s significant contributions to physician leadership. Letter should affirm experience as it pertains to the criteria listed below in the application section. (Perspective, Contributions, Activities and Achievements)
- Provide a narrative that describes the candidate’s achievements in the field of physician leadership on a regional and/or national level. (details below and within the application)
- Attend a minimum of 14 hours of live event CME through the association within the past two years.
- Actively participate in at least two association activities/volunteer positions, which may include:
- Ambassador at live conferences
- Peer presenter
- Task force or committee member
- Mentor or coach through the association
- Community webinar presenter
- Write an article or white paper for the PLJ (Physician Leadership Journal)
- Developer of new initiatives to foster physician leadership
- Subject Matter Expert
- A one-time processing fee of $200 will be due once your submission has been confirmed by AAPL staff. This fee is non-refundable and applications will not be processed until payment is received.
- Call for Applications opens in August
- The final deadline for applications is December 2, 2019
- Announcements will be made in early February
- Incoming class of fellows will be announced during a Convocation Ceremony at the AAPL Annual Meeting each spring. The next Annual Meeting will be held June 12 - 14, 2020 in Chicago, IL.
To prepare for the application process, please note some additional application details below. Specific details can be found within the application.
- Your Perspective - Share your perspective on how physicians can best serve the healthcare community as leaders.
- Your Contributions - List your contributions to the field of physician leadership at the regional and/or national level.
- Your Activities - List the activities you have participated in within the American Association of Physician Leadership.
- Your Achievements - Describe your achievements in the field of physician leadership - specifically explain your area of expertise and special contribution.
Questions? Contact CPE@physicianleaders.org or call 800-562-8088