Impact the health care community now and into the future.
Fellowship in the American Association for Physician Leadership (FAAPL) indicates that you have attained the highest level of leadership excellence and a continued commitment to the organization and the field of physician leadership. AAPL Fellowship is the most prestigious professional designation in the physician leadership community.
The Council of Fellows awards this distinction to physicians that have obtained the Certified Physician Executive (CPE) credential and have demonstrated substantial contributions to the field of physician leadership on a regional and national level.
The FAAPL designation tells your colleagues that you have a passion to lead, mentor and inspire all those around you.
- Be an active member of the American Association for Physician Leadership in good standing for the last five consecutive years.
- Earn the Certified Physician Executive (CPE) credential.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from a current fellow, who knows and can nominate the candidate for fellowship status based on the applicant’s significant contributions to physician leadership. Letter should affirm experience as it pertains to the criteria listed below in the application section. ( Perspective, Contributions, Activities and Achievements )
- Provide information that describes the candidate’s achievements in the field of physician leadership on a regional and/or national level as it pertains to the criterion listed below in the application section. ( Perspective, Contributions, and Achievements )
- Attend a minimum of 14 hours of live event CME through the association within the past two years prior to applying. (excludes Capstone )
- Actively participate in at least two association activities/volunteer positions, which may include:
- Ambassador at live conferences ( course liaison, peer advisor, focus group participant, video testimonial, or subject matter expert interview )
- Peer presenter or Vanguard presenter at AAPL's yearly Annual Meeting
- Committee member, Capstone Cohort Leader or other appointments
- Mentor through the association
- AAPL Online Community advocate
- Community webinar or podcast presenter
- Write an article or white paper for the Physician Leadership Journal ( PLJ ) or for the Journal of Medical Practice Management ( JMPM )
- Developer of new initiatives to foster physician leadership
- Subject Matter Expert for course and content development
- A one-time processing fee of $200 will be due once your submission has been confirmed by AAPL staff. This fee is non-refundable and applications will not be processed until payment is received.
- Incoming class of fellows will be announced during an Induction Ceremony at the AAPL Annual Meeting each Spring. The next Annual Meeting will be held June 11 - 13, 2021 in Chicago, IL.
- The Fellowship application opens August, 2021
- The final deadline for applications is November 5, 2021
- Announcements will be made in early February, 2022
To prepare for the application process, please review the criterion below that you will attest to. Please be clear and concise in each category in order to demonstrate to the Council of Fellows that you meet the rigorous standards for fellowship.
- Your Perspective - Share your perspective on how physicians can best serve the healthcare community as leaders.
- Your Contributions - List your contributions to the field of physician leadership at the regional and/or national level.
- Examples: publishing articles on physician leadership issues in national or regional journals, speaking at regional or national meetings on leadership issues, and participating through committees and boards with the statewide or national impact on the healthcare system
- Mentoring outside of the Association (including other professional societies, workplace)
- Your Activities - List the activities and/or volunteer positions you have participated in within the American Association of Physician Leadership.
- Your Achievements - Describe your achievements in the field of physician leadership - specifically explain your area of expertise and special contributions to the successes.
Please note, the application form does not automatically save your progress. We encourage you to review the application and draft your responses separately prior to beginning and submitting your application.
Application Period Has Ended
Questions? Contact CPE@physicianleaders.org or call 800-562-8088